"This album ('Untitled') is situated at the place where a post-bop school prizing melody over cadence meets an indie-rock scene that favors cinematic melodicism over head-banging tempos..."
- Dave Sumner (Bandcamp/ Bird is the Worm)
"...an affable guy with an epic beard, an amusing penchant for naming songs, and fantastic musical sensibilities..."
- Anthony Dean-Harris (Nextbop/KRTU San Antonio)
'Your Parents Weren't Right, But You Are Dying (Part 2)'
Zach Rhea's New Music Collective
Zach Rhea's New Music Collective performing for the Church of the Sacred Ear concert series at Staffland Studio in Lafayette, LA.
Reagan Mitchell - alto sax
Tim McFatter - tenor sax
Chad Viator - guitar
Trey Boudreaux - bass
Zach Rhea - drums + cymbals
Zach Rhea is a drummer, composer, improvisor, and bandleader based in Lafayette, LA. His musical influences range from Madlib to Cecil Taylor, Deerhoof to Stravinsky, Cake to John Zorn and everything in between. His own music varies from experimental instrumental hip-hop in the duo ACHRON to contemporary jazz in his New Music Collective to more experimental electronic improvisations in his solo project Most People Are Dead. Past and present bands, such as Dwight Roy's Electric Seed, A Funk Band Named MACHETE, Spyglass, and Maintenance have shown off his blues, rock, pop, and funk abilities as well.
Zach's made Lafayette, LA his home since 2009 and has been a regular in the local music scene, playing jazz gigs, backing other local musicians, and forming original bands. In 2017 he started a local concert series called Church of the Sacred Ear with fellow musician, Chris Stafford. Each show is held in Stafford's Staffland Studio and is filmed and recorded for their video series.
Zach is always trying to create something new and challenging. Whether he hits that mark or not, he's usually someone worth paying attention to.
- 02/16 - Lafayette, LA @ Artmosphere (w/Brian Haas & Alex Massa)
- 02/15 - Lafayette, LA @ Omni Center (w/Josh Leblanc, Chad Viator, & Chad Faulk)
- 12/30 - San Marcos, TX @ ShedFest (Maintenance)
- 12/29 - San Antonio, TX @ Imagine Books & Records (Maintenance)
- 12/28 - Denton, TX @ Backyard on Bell (Maintenance)
- 12/07 - New Orleans, LA @ Siberia Lounge w/Julie Odell & Basher
- 12/06 - Birmingham, AL @ Freedom House
- 12/05 - Nashville, TN @ The Cobra Club w/Michael Toman
- 12/04 - Cincinnati, OH @ The Listing Loon w/Matt McAllister
- 12/03 - Chicago, IL @ Ratchet Series at Elastic Arts w/ Chad McCullough
- 12/01 - Rock Island, IL @ ROZZ-TOX
- 11/30 - St. Louis, MO @ El Lenador w/Mother Meat & Ex Salis
- 11/29 - Tulsa, OK @ Duet Jazz
- 11/28 - Denton, TX - @ Backyard On Bell w/Isabel Crespo
- 11/11 - Alexandria, LA @ Mallot House (Maintenance) w/Maman
- 11/09 - Lafayette, LA @ Artmosphere (Maintenance) w/Maman
- 10/02 - New Orleans, LA @ Marigny Opera House w/Outer Core
- 09/25 - New Orleans, LA @ SideBar
- 06/11 - Houston, TX @ Avant Garden w/ Danny Kamins/Beth Dodds Duo
- 06/10 - San Antonio, TX @ Ventura SATX w/ Deer Vibes
- 06/09 - Austin, TX @ Monk's Jazz Club w/ The Azmaris
- 06/08 - Denton, TX @ The Mustard Zone w/ Complete, Bad Bad Baby, & Nobody Nose
- 05/11 - Jackson, MS @ AND Gallery
- 05/03 - New Orleans, LA @ Allways Lounge w/ Basher
- 04/15 - San Antonio, TX @ Ventura SATX w/ Elnuh
- 04/14 - Austin, TX @ Stay Gold w/ The Azmaris
- 04/13 - Houston, TX @ Dan Electro's Guitar Bar
Contact & Info
BOOKING AND INFO: ZachRheaMusic@gmail.com
All photos by LeeAnn B. Stephan - LeeAnnBStephan.com